Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mexico Lindo

So after much persuasion, the hubby took me (or rather, I took him) to Mexico Lindo, a local mexican restaurant that we probably pass every day and have never ventured inside. Driving into the parking lot, we realize it's empty.

"Babe, we're the only ones here."

"No we're not," I say, "there's other cars."

"I don't know babe, I think they work here."

Well, we walk up to the door, peek inside, and sure enough, we're the only ones. There's a man sitting at the bar, but that's it. The sign says, "Please seat yourself" so we do.

The TV has some program playing in spanish, looks like music videos en espanol (Sorry babe. They don't have the game on). A cheerful young girl, probably all of 17 years, greets us with a generous bowl of chips and salsa. She takes our drink order - dos margaritas on the rocks - and we start to look over the menu.



MMM. The chips are still warm, and the salsa has a nice kick to it. So far, so good. I take a minute to look around. It's about what I expected. decorations...a little cheesy ...there's valentine hearts hanging from the ceiling, and there's still christmas garland hanging in the window. The server comes back with our margaritas and we order. We order the guacamole ($3.50), and I order off of the a la carte menu, the burrito mexicano with chicken ($4.25) and the americano pork taco ($2.75). Frank orders Brochetas Mexicanas ($11.50), which the menu describes as a mexican version of a shish kabob with chicken, beef and shrimp.

We dig into the margaritas (tasty, perfect with the chips and salsa, but definitely a mix), and then the guacamole comes soon after.

"This is it," I say, "this is the real test." Survey says? Pretty good. Not the best guac I've ever had, but I enjoyed it nonetheless (the complimentary salsa blew it out of the water).

We have our fill of guacamole, and soon after the entrees come out. Frank's entree looks delicious. Two kabobs with grilled vegetables, chicken, shrimp and beef, on a bed of a large portion of chicken fajitas, rice and beans.




Brochetas Mexicanas


I dig in to my burrito, and it's delicious. The flavorful combination of chicken, rice and beans is perfect. I go for the pork taco, and it's hmm. Salty. Funny taste. Maybe pork wasn't a good idea. The burrito was generous enough to fill me up, so I pass on the taco and finish my burrito. Frank devours his entree. We end full and satisfied, just in time for the bill. The damage came to $41, but considering $20 of it was margaritas (4 @ $5 a piece), we're thinking we didn't do too bad.

Will we be back? Sure, but not in the near future, as we've got plenty of other places on our list. Well, maybe if it's $2.99 margarita night. The service was good (it should be, since we were their only patrons), and I'm pretty sure the server thought we were food critics (my guess is from all of the photos we were taking) and she kept trying to buy our affection with free pens (?). Yes, I'm serious. First one, then another... then a styrofoam container to take home our guacamole (there was barely any left).


If you're ever in the New Castle area, perhaps stuck in traffic on Rt. 13 on your way down to the Delaware beaches, stop in Mexico Lindo for some fresh chips and refreshing margaritas. And if you've got time, try any one of their dishes. But you may want to stay away from the pork. :)

Rating:
Value - 4 stars
Taste - 3 stars
Atmosphere - 3 stars
Presentation - 3 stars
Service - 5 stars

Total rating - 3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Frank's dish looks awesome. I really like the place's decor, especially the radio and painting hanging on the wall behind Frank. Looks like my kind of restaurant...one of those hidden, little gems.

    ReplyDelete