Friday, January 15, 2010

A Culinary Adventure through Ordinary Delaware

My husband has lived in Delaware for over 3 years, and there are still restaurants that we have yet to "check out" that we pass numerous times a month. We live in such a multicultural and diverse area that there's so many authentic places to choose from, and we still always end up going to the same spots (not that they're bad - they're great Jessop's Tavern - awesome, our fave, Firebirds, Deep Blue, Brandywine Prime, Domaine Hudson, and Mikimotos to name a few)... So I've made a list of all of the places and vow that we will try them this year. Well, most of them. And while these ones are definitely ones to try, there will be additionals I'm sure (you wanna hear about our other faves too, don't you?). Here's the list, and as we try each one I will provide updates with reviews.

1. Casablanca Restaurant - I've heard so many good things about this place and it sounds so fun. 7 courses of Moroccan food for $25? Right down the street? Sign me up.
2. Pho Nhu Vu - ok, I just drove by this place and checked out the website. I miss Pho Eden in Cherry Hill, and I'm hoping this one can cure my craving for Vietnamese. Summer rolls? Yes, please!
3. Rascals BBQ & Crab House - this place is pretty famous around here, sounds fun for a casual, laid-back Saturday or Sunday...
4. Aqua Sol
5. Potstickers Asian Grill
6. Mexico Lindo - this place looks like a hole-in-the-wall, but word on the street is that it's great authentic Mex.
7. Island Spice - no website for this place, but there wasn't one for Genelle's either. Genelle's was a place we fell in love with in Wilmington w/ delicious caribbean food. Sadly, it closed, but the cook has opened her newest establishment even closer to us on Rt. 9. Nothing fancy, just good,authentic Caribbean food (or so I hope). 202 East 6th Street New Castle, DE 19720-4566 (302) 322-2401
8. The Green Room at the Hotel DuPont - snooty? maybe. Good? I hope so (This technically isn't a first for me, as I've had brunch here once, but dinner will be a new adventure).

I figure I should give you a little background as to why I started this blog. The idea for this came from Frank & I sitting down at one of our new favorite finds and he said,

"Wouldn't it be great if we could get paid to go to places like this?"

my hubby, on our honeymoon in Ireland, eating al fresco at one of our favorite off-the-beaten path places, The Coffin Shed (that's my Chardonnay).



And me, at another one of our favorites, Messrs Maguire:


Not that we're ever going to get paid for it, but hey, if this blog takes off, maybe I can throw up some ads or a paypal link. Never hurts to dream...

DISCLAIMER: THIS BLOG HAS NO LIMITS TO WHERE IT WILL GO... we'll go to the fancy, the yuppie, and we'll certainly go to dives, so they'll be something in this for everyone.Also, as a foodie and cook, I may from time to time put up a recipe.

This all sounds so delicious while I sit here and remember that I've got at least another 5 lbs to lose before we go on vacation at the end of next month, but everything in moderation. No diet is worth sticking to if you can't enjoy yourself every once in awhile, right? Besides, my husband promised me that if we blogged about restaurants we try, then he'd take me to Mexico Lindo (the facade of this place scares him, but I say, it's always the gritty ones that have the most authentic food! Well, that may not always be true, but I have a good feeling about this one!).

No comments:

Post a Comment