Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Jersey (er.. Delaware) Fresh Dinner...

There's something about fresh summer vegetables that gets me all excited and inspired to cook. Good thing, too, since it's so darn hot out I need a little inspiration.

It's kind of sad when I think of how I never truly appreciated the summer vegetables that we would grow at home until I left. We had the biggest garden growing up... 70+ tomato plants (grape, cherry, plum & big boy) and all the veggies you could think of... corn, lima beans, string beans, squash, zucchini, bell peppers, cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers, okra, sometimes eggplant, peas, watermelon or leaf lettuce, just to add a little variety. We would have a bounty of fresh vegetables for dinner every night - corn on the cob, sliced tomato with a little salt and pepper... fried okra (don't get me started on this stuff. It's so good).. I think the fact that I labored in that garden for hours every day in summer made me hate those veggies. Now I miss them. It is amazing how you can grow the most delicious things from a little seed.

There's something about slicing open a jersey tomato and seeing all that beautiful bright red center, and biting into your first ear of silver queen corn. So sweet. I love it.

So Father's Day was this past weekend, but Frank & I were away celebrating our anniversary, so I asked my parents to come over for dinner this week instead. I'm planning my menu, and since my Dad loves his veggies and would much prefer them over starches, I've got a semi-healthy but definitely deliciously-summery-vegetable menu planned.
Caprese Salad

Sausage-stuffed mushrooms (these are my Dad's favorite, so I have to make them)

Asian Grilled Salmon courtesy of Barefoot Contessa(see pic -I've never made this before so I'm really hoping Ina doesn't fail me)















Grilled asparagus with garlic, olive oil, and parmesan

Grilled corn on the cob

and for dessert...

Chocolate Lava Cakes courtesy of The Pioneer Woman (one of my fav food blogs. She has the best writing style!).  













Anyway, it should be a good one.. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment