Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 9

It rained. All day. We shopped some more, Frank got a new "fancy" hawaiian shirt ("fancy" because it cost $70 from a "fancy" store)

and I was determined to get to Cuzzin's restaurant for lunch, because everyone said it was the best authentic caribbean food downtown. Sadly, we got to Cuzzin's and they were closed on Sundays. Boo. So I remembered the other place on my list, Gladys' Cafe.

Because it was a rainy day and there were a few ships in port downtown, everyone and their mom thought of Gladys' too. Boo again. But the waitresses there were hustling and we got a table very shortly after we arrived. I was excited because I had heard good things about this place too. I got jerk chicken, I think Frank got curry chicken. It came with a side of rice, fried plantains and macaroni and cheese.

Well, sadly, I was disappointed. Those fried plantains were nothing like Miss Lucy's, or the place at Coki Beach (neither crispy on the outside nor creamy on the inside). I don't know if you can see but the mac & cheese really left something to be desired (I have issues with mac & cheese that needs to be cut with a knife). The chicken was, eh, alright. But I was sad. I'm going to give Gladys the benefit of the doubt and say that it was because of the incredibly busy day they were having. Gladys herself was quite charming.

Image result for gladys st thomas

She serenaded us at the bar when we came in to an Ella Fitzgerald song. Can't remember which one. But I liked it. Too cute.

After our rainy day, we decided to make a reservation for Craig & Sally's (again). Our waitress recognized us and asked if we lived on the island. That made me excited for a minute. Do we really seem like locals? It was only because she knew we had been there before. :) I didn't take pictures or remember exactly what we had. I remember I got prime rib and Frank had a ribeye I think. Yes, I ordered beef for dinner three times on our vacation. Not sure why. Shouldn't I be ordering seafood? Who knows.
Anyway, for tapas we had three again. I remember there was this watermelon and brie thing with balsamic reduction. That was really good. We also had a mini baby back rib & cornbread. mmm. And the third one I can't remember.. huh. Oh well. I remember we ate all of it, whatever it was. For dessert we got some special kind of creme brulee (it might have been coffee, or chocolate) that was off the hook. And I'm not a real creme brulee fan so that means it was good.

A good end to another dreary day. We walked out of the restaurant with sad faces, knowing this was the last day of our vacation and maybe the last time we'd go to Craig & Sally's for a long time, maybe ever. .

End Day 9. Next post will be either a restaurant post or a recipe post, but I promise I'll keep up with it. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment