Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 2

We woke up early on Day 2 and we were off to the beach by 9:30 (8:30 EST!). We decided to check out Hull Bay for our first beach day. My research told me it was a "locals" beach, and on a busy port day I figured it would be a good option. Plus, it was the closest beach to our apt.

It was definitely quiet, we were the only ones there for the first hour or so. We lost track of time and just enjoyed a lazy day. By about 12 or 1pm, we were hungry. We turned around and right behind us (literally) was the Hullbay Hideaway. It's not even a restaurant really, more of a series of outdoor structures with roofs to protect you from the rain. A hole in the wall really. A hole in the wall that locals love. So I heard through my research anyway.

We mosie(is that how you spell mosie?)'d up to the bar and Arthur greeted us. Ok, there wasn't much greeting. He gave us a menu while he took our drink order. We quickly learned that Arthur was not only the hostess, waitress and bartender, but also the cook. We both order the Presidente Burger (burger seared in Presidente Beer, topped with beer sauteed onions, lettuce, tomato and pepperjack cheese). Arthur goes to the back to start working on our burgers. A short time later (I don't know how this guy does it), he comes out with two huge burgers piled high with fries. I wish I had taken a picture of it. You just have to trust me on this. It was one of the top 3 burgers of my life. I don't know what this guy is doing, but he's doing it right. And he's doing everything. I must take a trip back to St. Thomas, if only for another presidente burger.

We then went back to the apt. to take a nap, and then woke up and got dressed for dinner. We stopped at Drake's seat on the way for a photo op.
Notice how skinny I look. This is because it's only Day 2, and it is before dinner.

A lot of places in St. Thomas are closed on Sundays, but Craig & Sally's was open. Some nice people at McDonald's pointed us in the right direction (everyone's so nice here!) and we scooped up the last unreserved table.

The menu at Craig & Sally's changes every night . They blog about it (YES! BLOG!) every day. Check their blog to see what they're serving tonight. This place had the most interesting menu. The tapas were so innovative, and you can order them individually, or select a platter of 3. We picked 3.
Chicken Pot Stickers and Peanut Curry; Brie, Cranberry-Orange Relish and Toasted Almond Crostini and Warm Artichoke and Spinach Tart. The tart was eh, kinda like quiche. Not really what we were expecting. The crostini and potstickers were phenom. LOVE.

When Frank saw this on the menu, he knew what he wanted.

Pan Fried Cashew and Parmesan Crusted Striped Bass Fillet
Artichoke Heart, Sauteed Mushroom, Goat Cheese Studded Wild Rice Pilaf
Blackened Tomato-Roasted Garlic Cream



Sorry I didn't get a picture of it before he ate half of it. Trust me it looked prettier.

I ordered the
Pommodori Secchi
Sundried Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, Red Onion, Garlic, Touch of Red Pepper Flakes,
Basil and Proscuitto sauteed in EVOO, tossed with Linguini and Parmesan



It was delicious. Light, yet filling. Perfect for a warm day in the caribbean. A nice bottle of wine, a leisurely dinner. We were both very happy. One of the top 10, ok, maybe top 5 restaurant experiences of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. I've got to remember not to read your blog at 10:40 in the a.m. Now I'm starving. The story of the "burger guy" is great. I love finding those little out of the way places that end up surprising you. Oh yeah. One more thing. Tell Frank he's gotta' work on the tan a little this summer. He's whiter than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! So relaxing and enjoyable to read!!

    ReplyDelete